- This event has passed.
I/DD and Dementia Care Workshop
March 27, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until March 29, 2019
Bancroft is partnering with the National Task Group on Intellectual Disabilities and Dementia Practices and Rutgers University-Camden to offer a two- or three-day workshop focused on providing capable care to adults with a dual-diagnosis of ID and dementia.
March 27th – March 29th
The workshop is appropriate for caregivers of adults with ID, as well as any staff in both disability-related and aging-related agencies including: DSPs, nurses, psychologists, behavior analysts, adult day staff, OT/PT/Speech/Activity staff, physicians, public guardians, program managers, case workers, and administrative and supervisory staff.
Workshop topics include:
– What is dementia? Does it present differently in adults with ID?
– Down syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease
– Challenges of diagnosing dementia in adults with I/DD
– How dementia impacts ability to function
– Early detection and screening for dementia in adults with I/DD
– Diagnostic protocols
– Key concepts of dementia capable care of adults with ID and dementia
– Shifting from lifespan goals to dementia-capable goals
– Communication tips and strategies
– Behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia
– Non-pharmacologic management of BPSD
– Dementia specific environmental modifications to help support function
– End of life care: challenges, opportunities & ethical considerations
For questions, contact Kathleen Bishop PhD: firstname.lastname@example.org